Monday, January 24, 2011

What's in a name?!

So last Sunday, I made a new friend at a birthday party and we realized that we both have boys named "Luke". And as it happens every time I meet someone with a kid named Luke, we start comparing notes about how they "are such a Luke". What does this mean? Well, I have found out that by some crazy cosmic way, your child can develop a personality that truly fits his or her name. I swear it's true. If I would have known this before getting pregnant, might I have chosen the same names? Well, yes, but maybe I could have prepared myself better!

You see, MY Luke is seriously one of the most awesome kids I've ever met. Am I saying this with a bit of prejudice? Abso-freakin-lutely--ha ha!!! But really, he's great. Without a doubt, Luke is the funniest kid I know. He is one of those people that can pull a funny quote out of thin air for just about any situation. He is super witty. And loyal. That child is so loyal once he determines that you are his friend. He has so many wonderful qualities!

But, Luke is also the child that usually has me scratching my head, pulling out my hair, and praying daily for strength. From the beginning, everyone has told me how "independent" he is. Isn't that just a nice way of saying "your kiddo doesn't mind!!". Yeah, probably. But he really does have a mind of his own and it's tough reconciling that to the "rules" of society. He's super smart, but he's also pig-headed and sometimes doesn't see that "playing the game" can get him further than stomping his foot and being stubborn about something.

I laugh (yes, I can laugh NOW--not so much THEN) when I think back to Luke being so independent. From age 1 till 2, he would not get dressed without a baseball hat. It didn't matter if he was dressy or casual--he had to have it on. Then from age 2 till about 3 1/2, his shirt HAD to be yellow. I'd be so frustrated... "Lukey, this blue shirt is really cool, come on, give it a try!" "NO"! "Crap, ok, wear your yellow shirt!". Then when he was 3, he dressed like Buzz Lightyear for 6 months straight. By this time, I was pregnant with Jake and couldn't care less, as long as he was actually dressed. We got many stares at the mall and grocery store but I just shrugged and would randomly yell out "ya pick your battles people!".

We also had a doozy of a time at school. At 3 year old Pre-school, I got called to the Catholic Church office on his 3rd week of school. I honestly felt like I was getting called into talk to the nuns. No, they weren't nuns but they were equally as intimidating. "Luke is just not making the best choices and he doesn't seem to want to mind the rules. We can't have him being so disruptive". "Yes, forgive me Father for Luke and I seem to sin all the time!" Uggghh, that was a seriously rough year. Then Pre-K came and I would ask daily "How'd Lukey do today?" Their answer often was "Well, you know Luke". I'd shake my head vigorously and say "uh huh, ok, great, see ya tomorrow" while thinking "what the hell do they mean, 'you know Luke'??? What does that even mean????" We got through Kindergarten with only 2 (or was it 3) visits to the Principal's office. Needless to say, I am on a first name basis, with Liz, our wonderful Principal.

So fast forward to this year. Luke is STILL difficult, still pigheaded, but his teacher is his biggest cheerleader this year in First Grade. She called me a couple of months ago to let me know that she thought that Luke was very intelligent and and that this could explain some of his past behaviour problems. Oh Dear Lord, we have some answers! The child is just smart and doesn't know how to control all of his bursting thoughts and inappropriate behaviours! So every time he climbed up that tall tree after being told not to, or he carved the letter "A" into the tables and walls (yes, true story)--that was just him not being able to control his ambitious self. HA--whatever! But seriously, they did tell me that many behaviors that are exhibited by so called "gifted" children are oftentimes looked upon as negative behaviours. So I am mentally throwing out all my "feelings of guilt" of all the inappropriate things that Luke has done over the years and chalking them up to him just being independent. I wonder how long I can use that as my excuse--"I'm sorry officer but you see, he's just gifted". Hmmmm!

To end this long post about our dynamic Luke, I will say that he got to go to his first day of Target Class yesterday. He came home and screamed "Best Day EVER oh yeah!!" When asked what was the best part, he excitedly told me that his friend Andrew fell face first into bird poop. "True story mommy, he seriously fell face first into bird poop. It was the funniest thing ever!" Ok, not really what I was expecting to hear but I'm so happy he had a great day!

I can't wait to see him grow up. I am so honored to be his Mom and it will definitely be an interesting ride, but I wouldn't change anything about him!

PS--I feel like I need to give a disclaimer that I REALLY do not think that Luke is "gifted". I kid about it b/c those of you who have known Luke for most of his life know some of his antics and this just makes it that much funnier. We've explained to him (and Nicholas, who is NOT in Target but would love to be) that this does not mean that Luke is any smarter, it just means that he learns differently. Thanks for understanding!!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I see a lot of MY Luke in this story too! I guess I will consider myself somewhat prepared for the future now. I'm glad I met you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete