Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hello Blog World...

Hi friends! Well, like millions of other people, I've decided to start a blog. Not because I think I have something all that exciting or imperative that I must get out there, but more to journal the fun, annoying, hilarious, frustrating day to day goings on of our family! From the beginning, I've gotten all the comments... "I don't know how you do it", "My, don't you have your hands full" and my personal favorite "sheesh, y'all are a mess". Yup, with two boys just 15 months apart and then a 3rd boy a little further down the line, I must admit, we are "a mess" sometimes. But would I change a thing about it? Heck NO!!! Actually, I'm lying, I would change plenty, but that doesn't mean I love my boys any less!! :-)

My hope for this blog is that I can share my thoughts and stories and one day look back and be thankful because as we all know, it DOES go by way too fast. Even more than that, I want an *accurate" account of things. You see, I come from a family of very gifted story tellers with the all time Queen being my Mother, Shirley. Shirley LOVES to entertain with a good story and the funnier the better. The problem is, it doesn't matter if the events are accurate or not. A little exaggeration--no problem--it just adds "spice". Add some details or totally change the plot--that's ok--it got a good laugh and that's ALL that matters! Unfortunately, her tales always seem to come at the expense of my brother or myself. Like the time that I made all A's in high school and got into the Beta Club. We were all so proud! But instead of bragging to the world, I overheard my mom telling her friend "Carrie is having such a tough time, I mean, we will lucky if she pulls a D". Ummm, what??? She later whispered to me "Her poor son is DUMB, I just didn't want to make his mom feel any worse than she already did". OK--I guess that makes some sense!!! Then the time that she told all of my relatives up North the funny story about how my boyfriend went to jail. Except that I had a nice boyfriend that had never even gotten detention in school. But, she confides, my cousin had a total loser of a boyfriend and we would be so rude to brag about what a nice boyfriend I had. So just roll with the story!! Sigh! Anyhow, I digress...

So can you see where I am going with this?! My brother and I have a running joke about how it is a miracle that we both turned out somewhat "normal" after being raised by such an entertaining mother. With that being said, I do see myself occasionally adding some "flare" to my stories--eeekk, could it be genetic??? BUT, I've promised myself and my boys not to exaggerate (ie LIE about) stories at the expense of my children. Luckily for me, my boys do enough REAL things that entertain that most of the time I haven't had to embellish!

Well, as will most likely be the case with most of my blog entries, I shall end here after being interrupted no less than 18 times. The last time being as Jake, my creative 2 year old, stood in the middle of the living room with an open container of red paint in one hand and the contents of said red paint covering himself from head to toe (as well as the carpet around him). He looked like something out of the horror movie "Carrie". See what I mean--no need to embellish! So, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment