Wednesday, January 26, 2011

OMG Mommy, something's wrong with your hair...

This is what Luke cried out the other night as I was tucking him in. "Mommy, why is your hair all black? It looks so weird--can you make it go back to normal?" What he was referring to was the fact that I am WAY overdue for a visit to my hair salon. As in, I was suppose to have an appointment a couple of weeks ago but low and behold, we had the ice storm and everything got canceled.

Now let me digress for a moment and be brutally and embarrassingly honest. That's right, you may have guessed it, but I am NOT a true blond. GASP!! Oh the horrors! Well, some of you may know because I had brown hair in high school. In college, I went brown, blond and red (I know right--I was sooooo much more adventurous back then). But I have been blond for many many years now and the boys have never seen me any other way. It's actually pretty humorous because we go out and many people will comment about how much the boys look like me with our blond hair. You see, Bryan's got a full head of hair (lucky duck at 38) but he is starting to go gray and his hair is darkening up in his old age. So whereas he use to be white/blond like two of my boys, he is now a nice dark ash blond. So naturally, everyone thinks that the boys get their hair from ME! And that's how I like it. I tell people all the time "oh yeah, the boys totally take after my side of the family" (my mom is a fake blond too) and Bryan will just stand there rolling his eyes but he stays quiet as he knows better than to correct me when I'm in the middle of a full blown lie. Sooooo, the absolute truth is that the boys get their pretty blond hair from Bryan and not me. Sigh!!!

So anyhow, I am long overdue for a hair appointment. Luke seems to be getting more and more anxious over how it looks (he doesn't do well with change). I don't know why I can't just tell them that Mommy dyes her hair but I think that might freak them out. So instead, I told him that they have really been stressing me out and this is what happens when Mommy's get stressed--their hair totally changes colors. So unless he wants me to grow a rainbow, they'd better get their act together. Ha ha ha, that's right, I don't like to stress my kids out! UNLESS, it benefits me or encourages good behavior. THEN, anything goes.

So, thankfully, tomorrow is my long awaited appointment and all will be well in our household. However, I AM thinking about getting that colored hairspray and showing up at the bus stop today. I know that will really flip Luke out. Hey, what good is having kids unless you can screw with them? I know, bad Mommy! Oh well, but check back with me in 10 years to remind me why all my kids are in therapy!!

1 comment: