Thursday, February 3, 2011

Deranged teddies and other lovies

So Luke's 1st Grade class is currently studying about Theodore "Teddy Bear" Roosevelt and to honor good ole' Teddy, they are having a "Teddy Bear Picnic" on Friday. All the kids get to bring in their favorite Teddy bear to help celebrate. I asked Luke who he was bringing (of course, I knew the answer before the words left his mouth). "Uh, Bobby, duh!" Of course, I knew that!

Bobby is Luke's beloved bear and has been since Luke was a baby. I can't remember a night that Luke has gone without Bobby and if there WAS one, then take my word, it was a sleepless night. But unfortunately, with lots of love comes...how do I say this nicely... ok, Bobby looks like a deranged homeless bear.

A couple of years ago, both of Bobby's eyes fell off (I know, that seems weird huh?! I think that Luke may have been going through a destruct-o stage but who really knows?!). Me being the domestic mother that I am (NOT), first tried desperately to go out to the stores and find Bobby's "twin" (with eyes). Apparently they no longer sell these adorable bears so I attempted to sew the eyes back on. That didn't work out so well either so we settled for buttons for eyes. And it was not a pretty sight! But Luke grabbed him and kissed both of us and said "Mommy, he's perfect now" and thankfully, Bobby could see again!

Nicholas has had many "babies" over the years, and he's loved them all dearly. But Luke has stuck with Bobby as his one and only. I'm kind of sad that Jake has never taken to a stuffed animal or blankey or any "lovie". Well, not yet anyways.

Oh and to speak of Bobby brings me right to Luke's "Other Blue Blankey". That's his other "lovie" that he still cannot live without (despite the fact that he is almost 7). I laugh when I think of it's name and how we came to that name. When Luke was a baby, I had an adorable blue blanket that I tried to force upon him. He talked at an early age and from the moment he could speak, he would throw the pretty blanket at me and yell "No, udder blue blankey". So I'd sigh and get him the plain, not as cute blue blanket that he was insisting on. Somehow that name stuck and that's what we call it. I think Other Blue Blankey will be with us until it's down to its single thread. Awww, the memories!

Back to Bobby--hopefully nobody will make fun at how raggedy he is at the picnic. Watch out though--Luke is very protective of his buddy!

Here is Bobby--I told you he's a little deranged looking with those button eyes!!! Oh, and he's only been washed around 300 times or so!











Luke with his best buddy!














Nicholas felt left out and wanted to be photographed with Slippy--one of his 30 favorite babies.













And last but not least, Jake (with no "baby" b/c he's apparently not a sentimental kid). Plus, he didn't want to stop running long enough for me to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment